When we say DIY Ping Pong Ball Launcher, you have got too many options! Either you can create a simple launcher, which may not be much effective. Otherwise, go for a bit advanced DIY and create a quality ball launcher for all your recreational activities.
I had an unused leaf blower with me and instantly got this idea to transform it into a launcher. Before getting started, make sure that you are good with the measurements and some piping work. Otherwise, get a helping hand and begin the DIY.
Ping Pong Ball launcher – Easy Home DIY!
There are different ways of making a Ping Pong Ball Launchers. While some people call these launchers a canon too, Ping Pong Ball Cannon. Also, it depends on the type of launcher you want to create. If you wish to make a small compact ping pong cannon at home, then you can make use of the plastic bottles. Your ordinary plastic bottles can be cut, and with some rubber bands, you can create a mini launcher for yourself.
If you are looking for a larger launcher design that you wish to make at home, then you can make use of your old leaf blower. With this, you can make use of the launcher for both indoors as well as outdoors.
Imagine the design of the launcher similar to that of a machine gun. Keeping a design in your mind will help you in simplifying the making. Now the steps that you need to perform are given as follows:
- First, you need to take out the tubings out from your leaf blower.
- After you remove the tubings, you need to measure out the opening of the blower. This opening is about less than 3 inches, so I had to get some PVC pipes with the matching measurements.
- I got a 2-inch connector for this purpose, which measures about 2 and a half inches on the outer diameter portion. I found an awesome connector for my job, which has a 2-inch design and has a 1 and a half inch reducer. This 1 and a half inch pipe reducer is the best considered for shooting out the ping pong balls.
- Along with this, I got a 3-foot section for the ball launcher, which is found to be the perfect fit for the complete setup. Get a 1 and a half inch T-connector and the cap ends for further connections.
- If you find the reducer smaller, then you can make use of some duct tape to get a snug fit. This is completely optional, only if you feel the connection is loose.
- Now, you will have to cut a 3-inch portion of the pipe for setting up the reducer. You can make use of the PVC cutters if the surface is clean and doesn’t require any kind of sanding.
- Next, you need to make a 9 inches portion of the pipe for holding the tennis balls inside it. You can compare the design with a gun that holds the bullets inside it. Don’t forget to set the end caps before you start filling the launcher with the balls inside it. You can add an approx of 6 Ping Pong balls.
- Here the remaining 2-foot section will make for the barrel, and later you can attach a T-connector to the end of the 3-inch pipe. At this stage, the ping pong launcher should work properly for you. Note one point here, the balls are loaded from beneath the launcher. Also, you need to shoot the balls slowly, otherwise the balls will come out in an out-of-control style. With that high speed, you won’t be able to practice well too.
- For slow and effective ball firing, the holder should be twisted in a slow fashion.
- I was looking for a way to hold the balls inside the launcher so that it remains inside before it is actually shot or fired. For this, you can simply keep a bending clip and wedge it between the magazine and the T-connector. This clip will hold the tennis balls tightly before it is actually fired out.
- By doing so, you are actually getting some kind of pressure which will help in shooting the balls at a faster speed. There you go, your new launcher is all set for some game!
There you go! Your leaf blower is now turned into a Ping Pong Ball launcher successfully! It is simple and easy to do DIY at home. You can also paint your new launcher in your favorite colors. Do the necessary lubrication for the smooth functioning of this ping pong ball cannon. Make sure that all the parts are tightly joined, pump as much air as you can and turn the clip for shooting the balls.
Try out this, and share what it turned out for you. If you have got any other method of making a ball launcher, feel free to comment your method below.