You have never given a thought on how the quality of Ping Pong Ball could affect your game, isn’t it? Well, it sure does and don’t worry! Only recently I had this realization about selecting the right ball for the game, and so I decided to share my piece of experience with you all.
There are many varieties of Best Ping Pong Balls out there, and this is the main reason why people end up choosing any type of ball. This is not the way you should work. As soon as you find a change in the mass and the texture of the ball, you will lose the grip on the ball and this may affect the overall game too. So, how to deal with this situation in the correct way?
I will list out all the Ping Pong balls that have been my favorite ones throughout the year. But before you set out to search for it, you need to understand your requirement and gaming needs at the beginning itself. This helps with quick filtering and will also get you the right ping pong ball for your game!
Best Ping Pong Ball Picks – Quick Overview!
- Best Ping Pong Ball Picks – Quick Overview!
- Choosing the right Ping Pong Ball
- Ping Pong Balls Reviews – Top Picks of 2018
- #1. 50-Pack KEVENZ 3-Star 40mm Orange Ping Pong Ball
- #2. MAPOL 50- Pack Orange 3-Star Premium Ping Pong Balls
- #3. JOOLA 40mm Ping Pong Training Ball 12 Count Set
- #4. Mapol 100 White 3-star 40mm Ping Pong Balls
- #5. Franklin Sports 1 Star Ping Pong Balls
- #6. STIGA 1-Star Multicolor Ping Pong Balls
- #7. EastPoint Sports 40mm Ping Pong Balls
- #8. Chugg 30 Count, 3-Star, Highest Quality, Ping Pong Balls
- #9. Viper Ping Pong Balls: White 40 mm Regulation Size
JOOLA also provides tennis balls along with their popular Ping Pong tables. Check out the JOOLA 40mm Ping Pong Training Ball Set. It is a set of 12 balls and is one of the ideal choices for the one-on-one matches. These balls are of the regulation size and are built to last long for all the tennis enthusiasts. JOOLA is also a proud sponsor of the sports equipment for US National Open and other International events.
If you want to buy Ping Pong Balls for recreational fun with family, then go with the STIGA 1-Star Multicolor Ping Pong Balls. Though it is a 1-star rated balls, they will do well for all the recreational fun. In total, there are 6 tennis balls included in the pack, each of them with a different color. It works great for all the casual tennis matches, along with keeping the balls with their regulation size.
Choosing the right Ping Pong Ball
Ping Pong Balls are always sold in bulk, and you will find them in a pack of 30, 60 balls. While there are packs with 144 balls present in it. Before you jump into the brand section, you need to know the types of balls which are available for purchase.
The main classification of the Ping Pong Balls is based on the star rating of the product. Also, there are types of balls on the basis of the player expertise. If the person has just got started on the game, then there is no need for a high-end ball in this case. But for other professional players, a high-end ball is one of the main requirements.
Comparing both the types, the professional level ball will be slightly heavy and strongly built than the beginner level ping pong ball.
Look for the stars on the tennis ball; remember them or better note them down for the selection.
There are total 3 types of Ping Pong Balls in this Star rated Category – 1 star, 2 stars, and finally, the 3 star rated ping pong ball.
- Beginners could opt for the 1 or 2 star rated ping pong ball. They are found to be a better option compared to the training balls. If you want to improve your game and practice well, then they will help you out in the best way. You can also set these balls inside the robot or any other machine used for practice purpose. So, if you fall into the beginner category, go for these ping pong balls. Later after some usage and practice, you can try out the 3-star balls.
- Next comes the 3 star rated ping pong balls. They are more quality built, and these are the Ping Pong Balls used by the professional table tennis players. Cost of the 3 star balls is higher than the 1 or 2 star balls. If you want to make a budget purchase, then it is better to opt for the latter one.
This was about the types of the balls, now what is the dimensions that you need to buy for the ping pong balls. Diameter should be 40mm, and weight of the ball should fall in between the 2.6 to 2.74 grams.
Another thing to note is the bounce quality. As you drop the ball from a height of around 31 cm, the ball should bounce about 26cm. This proves that the ball has a quality bounce on it, a Must to look out on the Ping Pong Balls. 40mm in the diameter and the weight criteria explained above are according to the ITTF standards. It is the recommended dimensions, so make sure you get something which falls into the correct category.
If you are new to the Table tennis game, then a simple 1 or 2 star rated ball will do the job. Others who have the expertise for the game, and have been playing for years – only opt for the 3-star tennis balls. Also, the ITTF logo is present on all the approved balls, some of the brands display it on the box, while others print them on the balls itself.
Ping Pong Balls Reviews – Top Picks of 2018
It is important that you choose the right ping pong ball since they can turn the whole game for you. Never thought of how the balls can even affect your game? You should probably check it now. I have come across stories from table tennis (TT) players on how they got the right stance and how they improved their game with the correct ping pong ball.
I found the following Ping Pong Balls worth giving a shot among the complete batch. You can either get an orange colored or white colored ball for the game. These are the standard colors, but it also depends on the table color. So, make sure that the ball is visible and easily identifiable during the game.
#1. 50-Pack KEVENZ 3-Star 40mm Orange Ping Pong Ball
One of the top choices that you can make for the tennis balls is the Kevenz 50-Pack training Ping Pong balls. All of these balls are manufactured in the Kevenz factory, located in China. All of these Ping Pong Balls undergo strict product testing and only the quality ones are approved. This assures the quality and the performance of the ball for which you have made the investment.
All the 3-star balls included in the pack are durable and comes with no wobbling. They will remain steady throughout the game and is able to take any level impact. The tennis balls tend to have this quality, as they are prone to get hit. If the Ping Pong Balls are not of good quality, you will find cracks generated on them within a week’s time.
Specs & Features:
Total count – 50, and the color is Orange. The weight of one Kevenz Ping Pong ball falls between 2.6 to 2.8 grams. Even though the ball gets hit for more than 1000 times, it will still be strong and free of cracks. Better quality compared to other expensive Ping Pong balls. Each ball offered by the Kevenz comes with a regulation weight of 2.75 g. This 40mm ball spins pretty well compared to other 38mm sizes Ping Pong Balls.
Also, there is uniformity in the thickness of both the left and right hemispheres. The balls offer a good amount of spin, bounce as well as control during the game. These are found to be suitable for all beginners, and also rightly goes with the table tennis robots.
- These Ping Pong Balls are adaptable in nature and can be used for training drills, and all your regular matches.
- You can also set these balls inside a Ping Pong robot, and keep the practice on.
- It has a good spin quality, and you can pull this quality easily using the Kevenz ping pong ball.
- This goes well with all the recreational activities and has got a good spin and bounce quality.
- Here the ball has a consistent thickness spread across the entire ball, so it offers a proper bounce on each side.
- Low in stability, and this may disappoint the pro and advanced players. Because of this, these Ping Pong Balls are suitable for the beginners only.
These balls have undergone some serious hardness test, and are built to bear any level of stress on it. You can freely hit the ball with all your force, and they won’t still break. These balls are orange in color, and it comes with a total count of 50 balls in one package. Even though the weight is a bit on the higher part compared with the regular tennis balls, they still offer a good amount of spin and control which is needed during the game.
It is an Amazon Choice product, and they arrive in a cardboard packing. These Ping Pong Balls will be suitable for all kinds of Table Tennis setup, both for gaming as well as the training scenario. The only drawback which I found is related to the stability, so it will be better to avoid these for big tournament games. The ideal choice for the beginners.
#2. MAPOL 50- Pack Orange 3-Star Premium Ping Pong Balls
This is the next 50-Pack recommendation for you, and I got them after the unstable quality of the Kevenz Ping Pong balls. It is a 3-star ball that can give a memorable gaming experience to you. These Ping Pong Balls are found to be 40mm in size, and comes with quality spin and bounce on it. A lot of buyers have shared a positive response to the product, and so I do recommend too.
Another highlighting property is the all-level player support it provides. You can either use them for the school going kids, while they can also go equally great for all the tennis clubs and other stadium sport too.
Even if you are a beginner at the game or suck at the Table Tennis – you are sure to love them! They are light in weight, and easy on the handling too. MAPOL is a trademark product registered with the Great Store firm. They also offer a 30 days money back guarantee, so you can return the product and get a full refund if it is within the guarantee period.
Specs & Features:
MAPOL offers you with a Quality bounce and moderate spin for all the Ping-Pong enthusiasts. These Ping Pong Balls are durable just like any other branded ping pong ball. It is a pack of 50 balls, all of them which arrive in the same orange shade. The bright color makes them easy to identify, without creating any problem to your eyes.
The diameter of the ball is around 40mm. There is a 30 days money back guarantee, using which you can claim the refund if you are not impressed with the product. Here the balls are delivered in a polybag, 50 balls all together. Keep a box or a container ready for the storage of the Ping Pong Balls.
- Pretty good bounce and spin quality.
- Goes well for all level players, and can be used for all the training sessions.
- Colour of the ball makes it highly visible for the player, while the ball is hit.
- A 30 days cash-back feature is also included, where you can return the product and get a full refund.
- They come with an even bounce on it and will travel evenly in the air after it is hit.
- A high recommendation among all the 3-star ping pong balls.
- A few buyers have mentioned that the MAPOL balls are fragile, and they could easily break. So, try to avoid hitting them strongly.
- Some balls may also wobble on the table, along with bounce to each wobble.
The Ping Pong Balls are of bright yellow colors, which make them easily identifiable. A person with a weak vision could also get the ball in sight, and they do not create any problem with your vision too. Light in weight compared to other regulation balls, and this makes it easy for the player to handle and hit the ball in the way he/she wishes.
Not way too strong on the spin still offers a moderate spin and power. You can use them for the school gaming time, as well as for the recreational activities. Overall, it is a good purchase for the price!
#3. JOOLA 40mm Ping Pong Training Ball 12 Count Set
JOOLA is another recommended brand in the sports equipment category. You will also find many quality products for the Ping Pong game as well, and here we have got the 40mm 12 ball set for review. If you are looking for the Ping Pong Balls, then you don’t have to much think when we are talking about the JOOLA brand.
This is one among the top trending brands, and they have maintained this quality on this 40mm ball. You will find two different color sets here, one is white and the other is orange. So, you can choose the favorable color which matches your room and the table. You can use them for home playing as well as for other training sessions.
The pack has 12 Ping Pong Balls, so you can use them to the best way and also enjoy a great time with your friends. Now play like a champion with the tournament grade brand, JOOLA! Also, JOOLA provides different gaming equipment for the US Open National Championships. They have been also associated with many of the international tournaments, where the games were played on JOOLA tennis tables.
They are found to be great for the recreational fun, and it is the cheapest deal among all the options till now. With the Ping Pong Balls included, you can easily bring out a matchless performance. The JOOLA balls are made using the high-quality celluloid material, so this allows you to make the most out of it.
Specs & Features:
These 12-set tennis balls are each of 40mm in diameter. Get the chance to experience the quality used by the champion tennis players. The ball weighs about 0.12 pounds, and they are manufactured in China. Durable celluloid-thing used in the manufacturing makes the ball last long for you.
You can choose between white and orange balls, so choose the one which matches your home setup. This set offers you with 1-star quality balls, still made their place among the Amazon Choices. It goes really well for the recreational activities, and also for another one to one training.
- Goes well for the recreational fun, and is highly affordable too.
- They are light in weight, and also the celluloid material makes the Ping Pong Balls durable too.
- You get the chance to choose between two color options, so get the perfect match.
- Last but not the least, it has made its place in the Amazon Choices list.
- Less with the bounce, and I found them slow with the movement.
- A user mentioned about the chemical odor, so this may not be safe for the kids to play.
Some buyers have compared the quality of this ping pong ball with the beer Ping Pong Balls. While one user has mentioned the bounce to be lower than seen on a regular 3-star ball.
Other than these, I didn’t find any issue with the tennis ball. JOOLA standards maintained, and the impressive colors will make them likable in the first instance!
#4. Mapol 100 White 3-star 40mm Ping Pong Balls
These are the advanced training balls, and it comes in a pack of 100. All of them are of 3-star and comes with quality bounce and power on it. This goes pretty well for the training and can be used by all level players. Balls are delivered in a poly bag, and so you will require a solid wooden box or any other container for placing the Ping Pong Balls. Also, they go well for practice and for those casual tournaments with your friends.
The light in weight design makes the ball bounce easily in the air, and you can also get an amazing spin on power. 40mm regulation size gives a good quality output during the game. They can be set for stadium games, school, and even other tennis clubs. Power, Bounce and a decent spin are added on these Ping Pong balls. They are simple in the design yet offer a premium feel to the tennis players.
Another thing which I liked about these Ping Pong Balls is the consistent bounce present on it. Anyone could easily play with these MAPOL tennis balls, but still, a little knowledge about the game will help you in playing the game in a better way.
Specs & Features:
Not the usual plastic-made tennis ball, instead they are made of nitro cellular camphor. This makes the ball stay for a long time, and are sturdy enough for all the power shots. The ball bounces back with high power as they hit on the table. This makes the game more fun and enjoyable.
Good bounce, along with the power quotient maintained. Diameter is of the regulation size, and that is 40mm. All the Ping Pong Balls included in the package are of the 3-star quality. You cannot use them for a high-level and advanced kind of game though. This is because they are of the moderate quality only.
It goes well for the tournament games, only if you are a defensive player. These are white balls of a 100-pack, and they arrive a big poly bag.
- Its a pack of 100, so you won’t run out of the balls at any moment of the game.
- These balls are a bit bulky in size, and it makes them easy to handle.
- The smaller balls may get out of the hand easily, and it will be hard to play with such balls.
- Much durable compared to the other Ping Pong Balls in this price category. Thus, you can save a lot of bucks by not buying stuff.
- It offers a good spin, which is a big advantage for a ping pong game. Found to be the best for all those random practice sessions.
- You may find them heavier for the 3-star rating. If you are having any weight preference, then look out for the weight before proceeding with the purchase.
- The Nitro cellular component used in the making may not be safe for use. Less recommended for the indoor use.
These tennis balls are made using a premium quality material, so they are here to run for a long time for you. It’s common to see the wear and tear on the ball with continuous practice. Fortunately, you won’t face any such issue with this Mapol 40mm Ping Pong balls.
#5. Franklin Sports 1 Star Ping Pong Balls
This is the kind of Ping Pong ball that can be used for both tournaments as well as for recreational fun. They come with all the regulation equipment dimensions – 40mm diameter, and with the suitable weight. It is manufactured in China, and all of them come with 1-star quality. I got the 18-pack White Tennis balls by the Franklin, you can choose among 144, 18 and 36 pack set.
If you are looking for white & orange balls in bulk, then you can go with the 144 pack. In this pack, you will get an equal number of both the colored balls. Even though these 18-pack balls are of the 1-star rating, still the brand assures the quality and offers a good durable product for you.
Good quality control and you will also find a pretty nice bounce when the ball used for the game. Bounce with the right consistency is maintained, now that’s what you should look out for. This way, they maintain a good precision throughout the complete game. If you are planning to shop these tennis balls from Amazon, then you can order the red plastic cups too. You can use the Ping Pong Balls in multiple ways. You can either order these in a pack of 144 or pack of 18 balls.
Specs & Features:
The Franklin Tennis Balls are of 40mm diameter, and they all are 1-star quality. With the tournament quality performance, you can take the gaming experience to the next level with this Ping Pong Balls. The size and the weights conform to the regulation standard, and this assures you to provide quality output.
You can order a 144 pack as well as the 18 pack of white balls. Depending on the need and where you are going to utilize them.
They last long for you and comes with a consistent bounce quality.
Franklin tennis balls can be used as beer ping pong, for a ping pong game, recreational fun. Also, you can buy these balls for your pet’s play too.
- They last long compared to other 1-star rating ping pong balls in the market.
- It is a good solution for those who are not much of a hardcore tennis gamer. If you play like twice in a week with your friends and family, then you shouldn’t look any further!
- The design is simple and gives a good control to the player during the game.
- You can use these Ping Pong Balls for multiple purposes like beer ping pong, tennis game, recreational fun, training sessions, and much more.
- I found that the balls lag behind in terms of quality. You can’t much expect from a 1-star quality tennis ball.
- If you are looking for a 3-star performance in the balls, then you will be disappointed. This may work for the beginners, and also for the recreational activities.
This is built for those who want the Ping Pong Balls for lighter fun. They are 1-star balls, so it won’t work the same way as other high-end tennis balls. Some of the cat owners have mentioned that these balls can work as a perfect cat toy. They can have their own me-time while you are enjoying the game. Available in three different packs – so you can choose the one preferable for your need.
#6. STIGA 1-Star Multicolor Ping Pong Balls
Being in the industry for more than 70 years now, STIGA has been a trusted brand and just a household name for all game lovers. We have got the 1-star Multicoloured ping pong balls released by STIGA, for the recreational activities. These Ping Pong Balls go really well for the home tournaments and the perfect family entertainment. Again the 1-star deterred me about the quality, but they are pretty good in this range too.
This STIGA product is a pack of 6 multi-colored balls, and these colors add an extra level of fun and attraction to the game. They are meant for the recreational fun only, especially for the home and family. All of these Ping Pong Balls meet the ITTF regulations, for both the weight and the dimension, but not yet approved for the tournament game.
Specs & Features:
Colour 6-pack Ping-Pong ball set, which come in an air-tight kind of package. Choose your favorite colored ball for playing. It includes 6 balls each of the varying colors, and they are red, blue, yellow, green, purple.
Goes well for all the recreational setup, and found for the family tennis tournament.
STIGA brand is one among the equipment distributors for US Open Championship and other National Tournaments. You can now understand the quality level, and performance of their products.
This ping pong ball meets the ITTF standards, with the 40mm diameter and the suitable weight measurements. These Ping Pong Balls weigh around 2.4 ounces.
- Looking out for some fun in your family tennis tournaments? Then, you should get this as this will be just the right choice for you.
- STIGA is the one who has set the standards for all the gaming accessories, especially for the tennis accessories and the ping pong table. So, there should be no doubt of quality.
- Pretty durable for the price, and could withstand all the scratching in a better way than a normal tennis ball.
- You can also use them on Ping Pong robots and keep the practice on.
- Even liked by the cats, so it goes well as a pet toy too.
- Even though the Ping Pong Balls are ITTF approved, you can’t use them for professional playing.
- Also, they are 1-star rated. You will require some better quality and powerful balls so that it can stand all the pressure and force during the game.
- They won’t spin much effectively as you may expect, and also they a bit harder on the surface.
All of the 6 balls are 1-star rated and arrive in different colors like blue, red, yellow, purple, green.
STIGA is popular for all their innovative ideas and contribution in the sports industry. This is the main reason why STIGA is liked and it is the number #1 choice for both the ping pong tables and other accessories. Both the beginners as well as pro users can benefit from Ping Pong Balls. Children from all school grades can use this ping pong ball for playing.
#7. EastPoint Sports 40mm Ping Pong Balls
Next, we have got the EastPoint Ping Pong balls which also come with the 40mm dimension. All of them come with the official measurements, both in terms of weight and size. You can use them for both recreational as well as for tournament games.
For the ultimate gaming experience, they have kept the regulation size and weight for the balls. This way, you will have a great time playing with these Ping Pong Balls.
These balls are available in 36-pack as well as 6-pack, and they are of a 1-star rating. You can also choose the 3-star balls which come in a 6-balls bunch. I needed some replacement balls for the tennis game, and these balls work really well as the replacement. Even if you are looking for some upgrades, you can opt for this brand ping pong balls.
Here the 3-star balls arrive in orange color with the EastPoint logo imprinted on them. Whereas the 1-star balls come in white color. You can opt for any of the two though. For cheaper replacements, the white 1-star rating balls will be the first recommendation.
Specs & Features:
EastPoint is offering Ping Pong Balls in three different packages, so you can opt for the one matching your requirement and budget. It will be a great addition to your tennis gaming equipment set.
The size and the weight conforms to that of the ITTF standards. Goes well for both casual as well as tournament games. For replacement needs, you can get the cheap 6-ball set which comes with white colored balls in it.
One of the ideal solutions for casual and other recreational activities. Plastic is the main component used in the making of these Ping Pong Balls. You can make them useful for tournament game practice as well as they can even replace your old tennis balls.
- Suits well for both the professional as well as beginners at table tennis.
- Official tournament dimensions will give you a better idea of how to play in an advanced manner. The more you practice, better will be your game.
- The round shape of this Ping Pong Balls offers good rebound quality.
- One of the ideal options for the beginners, to improve and level up their game.
- For this price, you will rarely find any brand offering sports accessories in the official dimensions.
- There is a safety hazard which comes along with the ball, so it is not recommended for children under the age of 3 years. They have got many small components and other parts, which may not be safe for the children.
One of the major advantages is their flexibility – can be used for casual matches as well as for tournament playing. They are made with keeping all the precision in check, and the dimensions correctly maintained. Ball Weight is yet another crucial parameters for testing the quality of the Ping Pong Balls, and they enhance your gaming to a next level.
So, overall these are good choice balls. The only low which I found is the 1-star rating, but that will be fine if you are looking for a replacement tennis balls for your old set.
#8. Chugg 30 Count, 3-Star, Highest Quality, Ping Pong Balls
Denting is a normal issue which can happen on a ping pong ball, but there are users who get the dents quickly on their Ping Pong Balls. In that case, you will need something which is strong enough to withstand the dent, and that makes sure your game is not ruined because of it. In case of a dent, take a bowl of warm water, and then place the dented ping pong ball inside this bowl. You will find the dent removed in minutes, this is one of the easiest hacks which I read online.
You will get a total of 30 balls which are 40mm in diameter, and of the 3-star rating. These Ping Pong Balls can be used for Table Tennis game as well as the Beer Ping Pong setup.
Also, they are washable and reused as many times you want to. Ideal for all the training session and these regulation balls offer a considerable amount of power and bounce. They have got a portable design, and also they are strongly built too. You can use them with or without paddles, set them up for a beer ping pong game. They can be used throughout the night, as they have got a thicker surface.
Specs & Features:
Designed in a way that the Ping Pong Balls do not dent quickly. So, less denting and more fun! They are durable in design, and you could simply rinse and reuse the balls after each use. Uniform thickness at all points, this gives a better spin and balanced control.
It will go really well for all the beer ping pong games. They can be set in your college, or at any picnic gathering too, pool or beaches etc, wherever you are. They also make for a great cat toy. The strong built of the balls, prevent the denting and this is suitable for the cats.
- The main feature of these ping pong balls is the strong built, and the less denting. People actually need such feature, and Chugg knows it right!
- You can maintain the balls easily by washing and rinsing. Not all the Ping Pong Balls allow this.
- It can go well for many occasions including picnic, college fest, home use, as well as for beer ping pong games.
- Sturdy in design, and this allows you to use night after night.
- Bounce remains consistent, and also offers you with a controlled spin during the game.
- Even though the company claims for the 3-star rating, I didn’t find them worth that level.
- Some user mentioned about the balls missing from the package. A fault from the delivery guy’s end, I guess. Still missing products is a big no.
This Ping Pong Balls is not yet popular among the Amazon buyers, still, I found them impressive for the price and the performance. Even without any racket or beer ping pong, you can still use them for the pool setup. Yes, they can float over the pool, so you can use them in multiple ways. Pricing is decent, so go for it!
#9. Viper Ping Pong Balls: White 40 mm Regulation Size
Quality ping pong balls for family fun and entertainment- that is how I can define the Viper 40mm tennis balls. They are the perfect choice for both recreational as well as competitive games. This is a 24 balls pack and is a 2 star rated balls. I gathered around with my sport-buddies and tested the Ping Pong Balls one day. The designing is done in a way which offers a quality spin to you.
If you are someone who keeps on losing balls, just for no reason! Then this is just made for you. These ping pong balls are better suitable for family fun and other recreational activities.
It also has a good bounce quality and comes with a durable design. You can use them for many tournaments, and still get the same performance for many games. All the Ping Pong Balls are white in color and has got the logo of Viper printed on it.
Specs & Features:
The Ping Pong Balls are of 40mm diameter, which is the regulation size. They can go well for both products as well as casual games. Excellent spin and bounce on this ping pong ball remain consistent throughout the game.
Each tennis ball pack contains 24 balls, all of them with 2-star rating. Here the 40mm is of the regulation size, so you could have a better experience on the game. The Ping Pong Balls are delivered in a cylindrical box, and this box has got a plastic handle on it for carrying.
- Best in cheap ping pong ball category, and suits well for all the recreational game setups.
- Both the spin and the bounce are well maintained. You can make the spins with your easy moves, and fewer efforts.
- Goes well for both casual and competitive practices.
- Budget set, so almost anyone can afford this tennis ball set.
- Not much recommended for tournament practice, since the designing is basic.
- Though the Ping Pong Balls have the regulation 40mm size, you may still find something missing on this. Still, it is a decent pick for the price range.
A pretty decent choice in the lot, which falls into the category of less than $10! If you are highly tight on budget, and looking for some ping pong balls for a lighter purpose like family fun – then this would be the ideal option. Also, you should not expect a lot from a budget 1-star rated ball, still it makes a good purchase for all the specifications.
Why Plastic replaced Celluloid? Which are the top Plastic Ping Pong Ball brands?
This has been already implemented! It was in the month of July 2017 when ITTF declared to make use of the poly or the plastic balls instead of the celluloid made Ping Pong Balls. This was decided after the potential dangers of the celluloid were proved, and they are not even recommended for indoor gaming too.
It was ITTF who decided at first to replace the celluloid balls with the plastic balls. So, ITTF teamed up with a Chinese factory for the production of plastic balls. There is a seam which divides the two hemispheres, and you will find this on the celluloid balls. While this seam is missing on the plastic balls, and this created problem in the testing work. The researchers were not able to check the ITTF standards on the seamless ball. This delayed the approval of the plastic Ping Pong Balls.
Now, you will find plastic balls both with and without the seams on. There are different Chinese and other Japanese factories working for the production of the plastic ping pong balls.
Since the ITTF declared for the plastic balls, all the events adopted this and replaced the Ping Pong Balls with the new plastic ping pong balls. The initial results with the plastic balls were quite disappointing, but then a different type of plastic was introduced that seemed to do good in the game.
Till now, we are still using this new kind of plastic. These new plastic balls are hard on the spinning and pretty good on the bounce. If a rally is going on, then the plastic made ball will bounce a lot higher which will ultimately increase the fun of the game. With these changes, players found it difficult to cope up initially. Not all the players have benefitted from this change, some still have the game in favor while others like the topspin players faced a lot of trouble with this replacement.
This has eventually led to shorter rallies, and the game duration has also decreased. Now I will list out some of the quality brands offering Plastic made Ping Pong Balls if you are planning to buy any soon. These balls are manufactured in China and Japan, and so you may find the brand names tough! Following are some of them-
- The first brand is the Nittaku Premium which is the best of all! You may feel like playing on a celluloid ball because it won’t feel anything different. This is the reason that made it for the first use only. These Ping Pong Balls are easy on spin generation. Durable and won’t break quickly as other plastic balls. If you have got any competition lined up, just get the Nittaku!
- Second is the Stiga Optimum, it offers a decent quality ball which is durable for a quality time.
- You can also select the Xushaofa 40+, they have been on the list because this is one of the brands which people liked during the first batch release of the plastic ball.
- Even the Donic 40+ is also a good option. Though I haven’t used the ball for a long time, still had some great experience while using these plastic Ping Pong Balls.
These are the above brands which I would like to recommend you guys for the plastic ping pong balls.
Find out how the Preston Table Tennis Association has compared both the Plastic & Celluloid ping pong balls. Watch the video to understand how these two ball types could affect the whole game.
Ping Pong Ball Types
You can divide the Ping Pong Balls based on certain criteria. They can be classified as follows:
- Based on the dimension
- Based on the player expertise
- Based on the material used in the making
I will explain the Types starting from the Ping Pong balls based on dimension-
The standard diameter is 40mm, but there are balls available in different measurements. Before the 40mm dimension, all of the Ping Pong Balls were of 38mm size. But then it was in the year 2000 when the 38mm changed to the 40mm dimension. This has remained the same till date, all the ITTF approved tennis balls has the diameter of 40mm.
There are some valid reasons for this change in the size. The first reason is that it was seen that the game has a high speed with the small ball. So, they had to slow down the game and this was possible with increasing the ball dimension. This eventually increased the duration of the ping pong rally, and which makes the game more interesting to watch. Even the larger Ping Pong Balls make the returning serve tough for all the spins. Making the game more challenging for the players!
Now based on the player expertise and the purpose, we got the following divisions-
If you want something for fun and other recreational activities, then you can get those multi-colored ping pong balls. They are meant for family fun, and less for the professionals. If you have got kids around you, and wish to buy the TT balls, then this would be a great option. Also, you will find hardball to the softer ones in this category. So, depending on the requirement you can select the fun ping pong balls.
Next, we got the Ping Pong Balls which are meant for the training purpose. These type of balls are generally soft on the surface and remains a number one recommendation for young players. Also, if you are a beginner at the game then training balls are the ones which you should probably get for yourself.
After these divisions, you will come across 1 star, 2 star, and 3 star balls.
The 1 star balls are more like the training balls, has a soft surface and is mainly preferred for the beginners. These Ping Pong Balls can get damaged if they are hit hard with the paddle, still, they are a pretty good option for the amateurs.
If you wish to increase the level of your game, you can try your hands on something called Improvisation. During this thing, you can do all the improvisations in the action and the position of the game. It is better to have a guide along with you so that he/she can guide you throughout the game. Getting the right stance and the position is very important for the player since this can decide the overall gaming performance too.
After you are done with the practicing on the 1-star ball, you can jump to the 2-star ball and continue with the game. This will give you a better understanding of the game, and also help you look deeper into the game.
Next, we have got the 3-star balls, which are definitely better in quality than the 2-star balls. All the Ping Pong Balls which didn’t pass the standard and tests for the 3-star balls, usually end up being a 2-star ball. Still, the 2-star balls are also a good choice if you are looking for some friendly one on one matches with your sports buddies.
The 3-star balls are the highest in quality tennis balls, and they are mainly found during all the tournament games and other National level games. These balls undergo very serious quality tests before they are authorized for the game. It was since 2014 when ITTF started the need for plastic Ping Pong Balls instead of the celluloid ones.[source]
Even today, the balls are made using both the components – a mix of plastic and a bit of celluloid. In the end, it’s always better to opt for the ITTF approved balls compared to the non-approved ones. Using quality product is mandatory if you really want to improve your skill and performance.
The search still continues for the coming years!!
Can anyone less agree with this statement? After the Ping Pong game was developed in the late 1800s, and even till this time the search for the Ping Pong Balls is on!
During the initial days, the game didn’t do well because of the low-quality tennis balls. Later it was in the 1900s when celluloid was first used for the making of the Ping Pong balls. It was during this time the game became popular worldwide, and people started actually playing the game.
After the celluloid ping pong balls became popular, the manufacturers started trying out different materials for the making and they brought out different quality releases.
Also, many of the laws set in the year 1926 remained unchanged till 2000. It was later the year 2000 when the ball color changes were taken into consideration. At first, the balls were pale yellow in color, and later it was changed to white (something which does not affect the eyes, less bright color). The only reason for making balls in yellow color was to make them visible in the certain surrounding area.
The only changes so far noticed is the increase in the diameter of the ball. It was about 38mm, and that was changed to the current ITTF standard dimension 40mm. Also, the Ping Pong Balls were made of celluloid which was later proved to be harmful keeping indoor, so they were replaced with the plastic balls. These plastic balls are also called the Poly balls. They are the recommended ones for indoor gaming, as well as the outdoor game.
This was our comprehensive guide to the Ping Pong Balls, and other favorite picks among all the options. I hope that this guide helped in getting an in-depth knowledge of the ping pong balls. Even while I was going through the selection, I didn’t think of so many concepts. But if you need to make the right selection, then you need to have the knowledge and the history of the product.
For more updates on Ping Pong game and other related concepts, follow us on PingPongGuide!